Friday, January 14, 2005

HD Wireless Media Player

I noticed that Buffalo Technology has released an HD media player (Buffalo Technology�s PC-P3LWG/DVD HD Wireless Media Player - Engadget). Sounds like a pretty cool device, but not too mainstream as yet. To be honest, outside of hi-def television, what other HD content is even available. I know Microsoft is promoting the WMV HD format, but I don't think a lot of content is available yet. Apparently, Atom Films also supports the WMV HD standard, but again I don't see any real compelling content. Buffalo's media player also supports DivX HD, which is all well and good if you want to watch a movie trailer in HD, but you seem to be out of luck as far as full length feature content goes. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of HD...comparing HD and regular content is akin to the difference between VHS and DVD. But at this point, I just can't rationalize investing in an HD media player. Maybe once all the standard wars between HD-DVD and Blu-ray are settled we'll start to see more HD content.

No comments: